Header Image for Kington St. Michael Village Website

Members of the Parish Council & Other Information

All members of Wiltshire's councils must register their pecuniary interests (financial interests) in Wiltshire Council’s Register of Interest and Gifts and Hospitality.

As a member of the public you can view details of Kington St Michael Parish Council members' registered interests here.

How to become a councillor - details on the NALC website.

Kington St Michael is entitled to nine parish councillors - find out more about your current councillors on the Parish Council's dedicated website..


Mr Gerry Gamble
Old Laundry Cottage,
Kington St Michael 
Mrs Emily Hocking
98 Kington St Michael
07713 285321em01.jo@gmail.com
Ms Elizabeth Allen
27 Kington St Michael
Mr Alex Hall
Wheelwright Cottage,
48 Kington St Michael

Mrs Vicky Ingham
 Hillside House, 94 Kington St Michael
Mr Peter MacdonaldPound Cottage,
42 Kington St Michael
07496 694440
Mr John Newton Keepers Lodge,
Kington St Michael
Mr Will Roe The Old Police House,
Kington St Michael
Fiona Twisse
"Claverley", Kington St Michael, SN14 6JF
07850 899991

Parish Clerk:
Mr Vivian A Vines MBE 

3 Wardour Road,
Chippenham, Wiltshire,
SN14 0AP

(01249) 657695 or
07785 717665

County Councillor
(Kington ward):

Howard Greenman

c/o Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Bythesea Road
BA14 8JQ
Cllr Howard Greenman

07970 047686

Click here to email
Cllr Greenman

James Gray MP
House of Commons, LONDON,
 James Gray MP

0207 2196237

Click here to email James Gray MP,
Click here to visit his website

If you have a matter you wish to raise with the Parish Council you are welcome to attend the meetings, where there is a public participation period to discuss items on the agenda.  If you are unable to attend then please write to the Parish Council c/o the Clerk.  Thank you.

Village Mailing List
The Parish Council is introducing a village mailing list to communicate with parishioners, when using the noticeboards or newsletter would be too slow (e.g. we would have sent out an alert when the road through the village was shut after the telegraph pole caught fire). If you would be interested in signing up for these messages, please send your e-mail address to the Parish Clerk at ksmparishclerk@gmail.com. There will be no charge for this service, and you can opt out at any time!

Members' General Responsibilities and Representatives of Various Bodies/Committees:

Chippenham Area Board (Wiltshire Council): Cllr Macdonald
Chippenham Area Transport Group (CATG) (link member): Cllr Hall
Chippenham Community Area Parish Forum: Cllr Macdonald
Emergency Planning: vacant
Highways & Flood Warden: Cllr Macdonald
Kington St Michael Charities (Alms Houses, private allotments, etc): Cllr Gamble
Lytchgate Project: Mrs Sandra Eaton (non PC)
Neighbourhood Plan: Cllrs Newton & Roe
Neighbourhood Watch Co-ordinator: vacant
Recreation Field (QE2 Field): Cllr Hocking
Registry of Land and Buildings (Lead Member): Cllr Gamble
Rights of Way Warden: Cllr Allen
Tor Hill Footpath Project (Lead Member): Cllr Gamble
Village Hall Committee: Cllr Allen
Village Website: Cllr Hocking & Linda Durno (non PC) as Website Administrator
Wiltshire Council Operational Flood Group North (Link Member): Cllr Hall

The Parish Councillors as a whole are custodian trustees of the village hall.

For issues regarding rights of way please contact the Rights of Way Co-ordinator at County Hall. Tel. 01225 713038. The area Footpath Representative is Steve Leonard, tel. 01249 445554, e-mail stephen.leonard@wiltshire.gov.uk and the village's footpath representative is Frank Hughes, tel. 758863.

Tree warden: The village's tree warden is Mr Frank Hughes.

Planning Applications
On occasion there can be some confusion as to the parish council’s role concerning applications for planning permission. Firstly residents should be aware that all planning decisions are made by Wiltshire Council and not the parish council. Accordingly if you wish to comment on an application to those who decide it you must do so directly to Wiltshire Council within the specified time.

The parish council is a statutory consultee in the planning process and is sent all applications within the parish upon which it can comment. If you wish to bring your own views on a planning application to the attention of the parish council, prior to it considering the application at its meeting, these need to be sent to the Clerk to the council as soon as possible. The parish council has to keep to the same response times to Wiltshire Council as everyone else.

Residents should remember that they can also raise their comments on a particular application directly with their Wiltshire Councillor, Howard Greenman – again within those all important time limits. Time is very much the key to have your voice properly heard.

Making A Planning Application
If you are considering or are about to make an on-line planning application via
Wiltshire Council's website, you will be redirected to the Panning Portal.
Unfortunately, if you choose to use autofill for your address, and if you happen
to live along the main street (i.e. no** KSM) then you will find that it submits your address as being in Honeyknob Hill or C154 Road.
This causes confusion to those wishing to or needing to look at planning applications, and, in fact, there are only 8 properties which have the Honeyknob Hill address (unsurprisingly 1 - 8 Honeyknob Hill).
The Parish Counil is asking affected residents who make a planning application to please check that "Honeyknob Hill" or C154 road" isn't included in the address (unless you are one of the eight!) and to enter the address manually.
If you spot this issue elsewhere, please let the Clerk to the Council know: ksmparishclerk@gmail.com.

 Parish Stewards (Lengthsmen)

The Parish Steward Scheme is operated by Wiltshire Council to carry out minor highways works. The steward will be making regular visits to the parish.

Among the works that can be undertaken are: rodding and cleaning small cuverts and manholes; hand cleaning road gullies; hedge trimming around road signs to maintain visibility; strimming of grass verges for visibility at road junctions; clearing overgrown vegetation, debris and leaves obstructing footways; and repairs to kerbs and small potholes.

Items for the steward’s attention can be raised through the clerk: ksmparishclerk@gmail.com.

Road Closures
To view all road works and related information, for Wiltshire, please visit

Wiltshire Council Equipment Loan Scheme
Wiltshire Council lends parish councils litter picking equipment for parish events. This includes the following:

Litter pickers
Un-logoed high viz vests
Bag hoops
Pairs of rubber gloves
Pack of orange sacks (52 per pack)

The equipment can be collected from the local depot or be delivered to the event - this needs to be specified on request and the council needs to be notified in advance. If any village organisation wishes to make use of this in the future, please contact the parish council Clerk, Vivian Vines, e-mail: ksmparishclerk@gmail.com or telephone (01249) 657695.

Emergency Planning for Kington St Michael
The Parish Council keeps a list of skills and equipment available in the parish in case of an emergency. We would be grateful to know of anyone with talents or equipment which could be of use, e.g. speakers of a foreign language (reasonable fluency), plumbers, electricians, people with 4x4 vehicles, chainsaw owners, catering skills & facilities, doctors, nurses, first-aiders, vets, builders, surveyors, tree surgeons, engineers, people with heavy lifting or moving equipment, lots of blankets, hot water bottles. Perhaps you have a well in your garden or do you own a generator? In other words anything which might be of value if there was an emergency. If you think you have something of use please contact Linda Durno on 750514, e-mail kingtonstmichael@btinternet.com.

Wiltshire & Swindon Countryside Access Forum - Your Guide to Open Access
The Countryside and Rights of Way Act 2000, the CRoW Act, created a new right to walk over areas of open countryside and registered common land. It came into effect in Wiltshire in December 2004.

Under the Countryside Rights of Way Act 2000, every local authority is required to set up a Local Access Forum in their area to improve access to the countryside for their residents and visitors. Wiltshire County Council and Swindon Borough Council have assembled a joint Forum. The Forum is a statutory body in their own right and their primary role is to advise on access provision to the countryside in its broadest sense. The Forum's website address is www.wiltshire.gov.uk/recreation-caf; this contains background information on the Forum, minutes from all meetings, details on access land parcels in Wiltshire, frequently asked questions and other topics; or telephone 01225 756178.