Header Image for Kington St. Michael Village Website

Useful Links & Services

If you know of any other local websites please e-mail us and we will enter a link to it.  Thank you.

Animal Cruelty
Contact the RSPCA cruelty line on 0300 1234 999.

Black Box Collection Dates:
Black Boxes are usually collected on alternate weeks. Please go to the Home Page and look under the Diary & Events section for current collection dates.

To request a second black box please contact Customer Services at Wiltshire Council on 0300 456 0102 or online, where you can also order any other types of bins required.  

Recycling website.  If you have any furniture which you no longer need, but is too good to throw away, then contact Waste Not, Want Not on 01249 447140.

If you have a problem with bonfires affecting your property please click on the icon for more information:

Bus Timetable
Our village bus services are the 44K (to Chippenham) and 99 to Malmesbury.  Here's information on the timetable, route and stops for the 44K and the no. 99. The services runs Monday to Saturday.

Call-IT! Volunteering Support Line for Wiltshire
Anybody seeking to help out in their local community can Call-IT! 0845 521 6224 to find out what volunteering opportunities are available in the area.

Call-IT! will be answered Mondays and Wednesdays from 9am – 2pm, at other times an answerphone gives information about the other ways you can find out about volunteering in your community.

The range of volunteering opportunities is enormous and can be for as many or as few hours as you can spare, some opportunities require as little as an hour a month, others a day a week. The team can help you find the right opportunity to fit with you. Call-IT! now to find out how you can help out in your community on 0845 521 6224. Or visit the Call-IT! website.

Carers Information & Support Service
Carer Support Wiltshire is a Wiltshire-wide charity supporting people who care for family members or friends. This could be looking after a young child with a learning disability, caring for an elderly spouse with dementia or helping a friend with a mental health problem, to name but a few examples.

It provides carers with confidential emotional support, access to information that can help them with their caring role, as well as opportunities for time out – social groups, pampering sessions and days out. All of its services are free to carers.

Carers Support Wiltshire website.
Email: info@csww.co.uk
Freephone: 0800 181 4118

Citizens Advice Bureau
Tel. 0845 1203707
visit the CAB website

Advice Line: 0844 375 2775
Drop in hours: Monday - Fridays 9am to 1pm. Appointments available. Wheelchair access. Address:

3 Avon Reach
Monkton Hill
SN15 1EE

Fax: 01249 445812

Clearing snow and ice yourself
The following information is from Wiltshire Council)

Last winter many people helped keep pavements and public spaces around their homes clear of snow. However, many people were put off doing so because of fears of being sued. Read on for advice on your rights and responsibilities when clearing snow and ice from public areas.
There is no law stopping you from clearing snow and ice on the pavement outside your property, pathways to your property or public spaces.

If an accident did happen, it's highly unlikely that you would be sued as long as you:

  • are careful
  • use common sense to make sure that you don't make the pavement or pathway clearly more dangerous than before

People using areas affected by snow and ice also have responsibility to be careful themselves.

Tips and advice on clearing snow and ice

  • start early - it's much easier to clear fresh, loose snow compared to compacted ice that has been compressed by people walking on it
  • don’t use hot water - this will melt the snow, but may replace it with black ice, increasing the risk of injury
  • be a good neighbour - some people may be unable to clear snow and ice on paths from their property
  • if shovelling snow, think where you are going to put it so that it doesn’t block people’s paths or drainage channels
  • make a pathway down the middle of the area to be cleared first, so you have a clear surface to walk on
  • spreading some salt on the area you have cleared will help stop ice forming - table salt or dishwasher salt will work, but avoid spreading on plants or grass as they may be damaged by it
  • pay particular care and attention to steps and steep gradients
  • use the sun to your advantage - removing the top layer of snow will allow the sun to melt any ice beneath; however you will need to cover any ice with salt to stop it refreezing overnight
  • if there's no salt available, sand or ash are good alternatives

The full article is available via Gov.uk.

Community Transport, Good Neighbour Schemes, etc.
Village Link

Transport & Caring Co-ordinators
c/o Community First
St Josephs Place
SN10 1DD
Tel. 07590 720836

View their leaflet here.

Connect2 RUH - About the service: Connect2 will provide you with a choice of bookable journey opportunities from Chippenham Town Bridge to the Royal UnitedHospital in Bath, single or return. The service runs Monday to Friday (except Bank holidays) and all journeys must be booked in advance of travel, by telephoning 08456 525255. View the full leaflet here.

Countryside Code
Please visit www.gov.uk/right-of-way-open-access-land for information on how and where to access the countryside, and on The Countryside Code.

Crash information now available online
A new website has just been launched, which allows members of the public to search for and look up the locations of every road traffic crash reported to police since 2005 - free of charge. This information could form an important part of a council’s campaign to lower speed limits or increase road safety awareness within the community.

This is the first time that the public has ever been given such comprehensive access to this data, and will now allow interested parties to locate crashes in a particular area, see what date they occurred and how serious an incident it was; a detailed collision report can then be downloaded. This is the part of the site where there is a charge for access, it's normally less than a pound per report. Anyone can search the map.

Credit Union
These are indeed difficult financial times for many families but there is a lifeline which is available and will indeed help many. The four Credit Unions in Wiltshire have worked together and can now offer loans of up to £500 at an interest rate of 2% per month (calculated only on the reducing balance of the loan) to borrowers who can demonstrate the ability to repay. Pleasefurther details can be found on the Credit Union website.

Crime Prevention
Wiltshire Police has launched its rural crime prevention booklet; 94% of Wiltshire is classed as rural areas so there is some great information inside that could be relevant to you.

The booklet gives advice on the following topics:
•Farmhouse and outbuilding security
•Vehicles, machinery and boundaries
•Fuel tank and heating oil security
•Livestock and horse identification and protection
•Protection of wild animals, poaching and hare coursing

The majority of the photos from the booklet were supplied by members of the public through a photo competition held by Wiltshire Police. Please have a read and remember if you see any suspicious activity to ring it in on 101.

Wiltshire Crimestoppers (call anonymously with information about crime): 0800 555 111

Devices for People with Disabilites
If you have a disability, then, in addition to familiar supporting equipment, you may need a special device to meet your particular circumstances to improve the quality of your daily living.

Remap is a national organisation of practical engineers, specialising in designing, making and installing such devices to meet these specific needs.

Many items are made from simple materials and are remarkably economincal to produce as well as often being ingenious. Typical devices are bath/shower hand grips, tubes to carry sticks on wheelchairs, eye drop dispensers, TV controls and modifications for sports, toys and hobby equipment. There are many examples Remap's website.

The service is free, but, as a charity, Remap relies on donations. If you think Remap can help you then telephone (01722) 322484.

Dog Fouling
Wiltshire Council's website states: "Dog owners must, by law, pick up any mess made by their pets in public places such as roads, footpaths, school playing fields, sports fields and parks. Wiltshire Council enforcement officers can issue on-the-spot fixed penalty notices and refer offenders for prosecution."

If anyone sees an owner letting their dog foul in a public place please report it to Wiltshire Council, either by 'phoning 01249 706111 and asking for the Dog Warden, or email publicprotectionnorth@wiltshire.gov.uk. Your personal details will be treated in strict confidence and you will be informed of the outcome of the complaint. Please note that complaints regarding aggressive dogs should be made to the police.

It is also worth noting that parasites can be transmitted to livestock through infected dog waste being left on grazing land. Some of these parasites cause diseases in livestock which can result in the death of sheep and abortion in cattle. Dog walkers and owners can take some simple steps to help minimise the risk of spreading these diseases:

• Always remove dog waste from all locations, including grazing land. If your dog is carrying the parasites, it will pass the eggs in its poo. By safely disposing of dog waste, you will help minimise the risk of passing on disease to livestock.

• Don’t let your dog eat remains of dead animals or leftover birth materials, such as placentas, whilst out walking. Your dog may be infected by parasites if you allow it to eat animal material it may find whilst out on a walk. Often the parasites cause no symptoms in dogs, but sometimes the disease of neosporosis can seriously affect your dog’s health and possibly result in death.

• If you choose to feed your dog raw meat, make sure that it is parasite-free. Your dog can pick up parasites from eating uncooked meat. You won’t be able to tell if raw meat contains parasites just by looking at it, but your local vet will be able to give you advice on how to make sure raw meat is safe for your dog.

Did you know?
Primary school children and footballers are most at risk from diseases from dog fouling? After it has lain on the ground for two weeks worms develop, and their diseases and others can cause: toxocara canis, roundworm, salmonella and E-coli, resulting in pneumonia, asthma and blindness.  However it is SAFE to clear it up on the spot.  Don’t run the risk – bag it and bin it. To report an incident of anti-social dog fouling please contact Wiltshire Council’s Dog Warden on (01249) 706425.

Dog Control
Please click here for information on keeping control of dogs in public.

Domestic Abuse
For information on domestic abuse, and where to get help, please see:

Driving - older drivers

Electricity - remember the number: 105
A national phone number, 105, launched by electricity network operators for customers to call should they need to report a power cut or problem. This new number can be used anywhere in the UK and will put callers through the local electricity network operator.

105 is a free service for people in England, Scotland and Wales and customers can call 105 no matter which company they choose to buy electricity from. Customers can also call 105 if they spot damage to electricity power lines and substations that could put anyone in danger. If there’s a serious immediate risk please call the emergency services too.

The Neeld Hall in Chippenham is a community, arts, and entertainment space; find out what's on here.

E-Safety links for parents - these links will give you information on safe internet use:

For information on firework safety and the law regarding the setting off of fireworks, please visit the Government's website. If you have any concerns with noise from fireworks after the stated times, please contact your local Police station, who enforce this law.

"The law relating to use and sale of fireworks: During 2004 the law relating to fireworks changed in order to help reduce anti-social use of them and reduce injuries especially to young people. You cannot set off fireworks between 11pm and 7am except for on 5th November when you can set them off until midnight and New Year's Eve, Chinese New Year and Diwali when they can be set off until 1am.
You must be over 18 to buy fireworks, except for caps, cracker snaps, novelty matches, party poppers, serpents and throw downs where the legal age of purchase is 16; these are known as indoor fireworks. It is an offence to throw or set off fireworks in a street or public place and it is also illegal for anyone under 18 to possess fireworks in public. It is an offence for people who aren't firework professionals to buy and possess category 4 fireworks. These are only to be used at public displays by firework professionals."

Floodwater Advice
The Environment Agency gives the following advice about floodwater:

· Six inches of fast flowing water can knock you over
· Two feet of floodwater will float your car
· Flooding can cause manhole covers to come off leaving hidden dangers
· Don’t walk or drive through flood water
· Don’t let children play in floodwater
· Don’t walk on riverbanks when there is flooding
· When water levels are high, be aware that bridges may be dangerous to walk 
  or drive over
· Culverts are dangerous when flooded
· Look out for other hazards such as fallen power lines and trees
· Wash your hands thoroughly if you touch floodwater as it may be contaminated

For more information read Prepare for Flooding

Wiltshire Council website also has flooding advice for homeowners and flooding advice for business owners To report a flood to Wiltshire Council: Tel. 0800 232323.

Flooding - Vulnerable People
Please note if assistance is required for vulnerable people out of normal office hours please contact the Duty Emergency Planning Officer via the Police on 0845 4087000. Flooding incidents should continued to be reported to the Highways Service number 0300 456 0105.

Reporting Flood Risk and Riparian Responsibilities
If you are concerned about blockages, obstructions to flow in the river or know of cut vegetation being deposited in the watercourse, which can cause pollution, please remember to ring our Incident Hotline 0800 80 70 60 which is open and manned 24hrs a day. You will be given advice and guidance and the information you share will be recorded and passed to the relevant duty team who will be able to take any necessary actions.

Food Miles Calculator
Food miles are a way of attempting to measure how far food has travelled before it reaches the consumer. It is a good way of looking at the environmental impact of foods and their ingredients. It includes getting foods to you, but also getting waste foods away from you, and to the landfillFor more information please visit www.foodmiles.com.

Garden Waste Collection
If you have opted in to the chargeable garden waste collections these are collected on  alternate Mondays (same day as the Black Box collections).  For further information see

Gas Supply & Connections
Wales & West Utilities operates the gas distribution network across Wales and South West England in the United Kingdom. It also provides the gas emergency service and delivers the iron mains risk reduction programme in those areas.
Gas Leaks (24 hours) - 0800 111 999
Email: Enquiries@wwutilities.co.uk
Further contact number options on the website.

Grit Bins
Wiltshire Council advice: "Salt in grit bins should be used by local people for minor roads and pavements, which are not routinely treated during bad weather. The salt should not be used for private driveways or roads."

Public grit bins in Kington St Michael are currently situated at Tor Hill, Stanton Lane, the junction at The Ridings and opposite The Close at the school crossing entrance.

Health & Social Care Website
The website adults.wiltshire.gov.uk contains information for adults, for people with disabilities, on how to help keep healthy and well, on social care, and for people who care for someone in Wiltshire.

Help to Live at Home
Do you or someone you know need some extra help? Are you finding it more difficult to manage at home? Are you concerned that you might be less independent? Please click here for a leaflet on what help is available.
Highways Service
Have you spotted a defect or fault on a Wiltshire road or right of way or cycle lane, such as a pothole, a broken street light or a blocked route? Then Wiltshire Council wants to hear from you. Defects include: potholes, damaged road signs, faulty street lights & traffic lights, blocked gullies, flooding, overgrown hedges, highway verges & ditches, highway trees, oil spills, mud on road, accident damage, defective road markings and grit bins. 

To report a defect you can either:

Report a Fault Online or call freephone: 0300 45 0105
Mobile 'phone users, and for calls from outside Wiltshire, telephone 01225 713350

Yopu may also report dog fouling using the above telephone number.

Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 8.30am - 5.30pm.

Householders' Guide for Emergencies
Wiltshire Council has issued a booklet, Householders' Guide for Emergencies, which may be viewed and/or printed here.

Independent Living
~ Aster Care & Repair helps older, vulnerable and disabled people to remain living in their own homes by offering advice & practical support; organising repairs, improvements and home adaptations as well as project managing building extensions. For more information visit the website or telephone 0333 400 8299.

~ Wiltshire Centre for Independent Living is and organisation managed by disabled people, and is committed to supporting all disabled people to cheice choice, control and equal rights: http://www.wiltshirecil.org.uk/

Information Point
Police & Council Information Service.  Services  are available at Wiltshire Council offices at Monkton Hill, Chippenham.

Junk Mail and Unsolicited 'Phone Calls
Apparently Royal Mail are going to be putting loads more unsolicited junk mail through our letter boxes in the near future, with their new scheme called "Door to Door". If you'd like to lighten the postie's load and avoid the junk mail, here's how to go about it:

• For addressed mail, call 0845 703 4599 or visit the Mail Preference Service
• For unaddressed mail, call the Royal Mail Door to Door Opt Out Service on 03457 740 740.
• For telephone calls visit the Telephone Preference Scheme's website.
For e-mails and recorded 'phone calls, visit the Information Commissioner's Office
• To stop junk addressed to those who have passed away visit The Bereavement Register's website.

Wessex Water wants to keep leakage levels low and needs your help. Do you have damp spots on your path? If so you may have a leak. If you spot a leak ring the Leakstoppers hotline on 0800 6920692 (24 hours) or e-mail leakstoppers@wessexwater.co.uk.

Milk Doorstep Delivery
Contact Milk & More, tel. 08456 063606.

Mobile Library
The mobile library visits Kington St Michael on a Tuesday. This vehicle has full disabled access.  It arrives at the Old Post Office, Stubbs Lane (near the telephone box) at 10.10am until 10.30am every four weeks. It also visits the school every fortnight on a Tuesday from 9.15am to 10am, where it is open to the general public (and schoolchildren during term time).  For full details and dates and for other library services visit Wiltshire Council's website. For dates of visits and more information, click on mobile library.

Newspaper Delivery
Contact Mervyn Singer, tel. 01249-750215.

Power Cuts & How to Prepare for Them
To find out further information regarding electical power cuts please visit the SSEN website (Scottish & Southern Electricity Networks).

Public Rights of Way
To view any public right of way in Wiltshire (including Kington St Michael's) please visit Wiltshire Council's website.

Our blue wheelie bins (for plastic and cardboard) are collected on alternate Fridays.

The nearest household recycling centre is at Stanton St Quintin (closed on Thursdays & Fridays); click here for the website giving details of opening times, map, etc. (Click on Stanton St Quintin for the nearest site.)

To find out more about the Wiltshire Council new waste and recycling collection service visit www.wiltshire.gov.uk/waste.

Refuse Collections
Refuse collection (household waste) is on alternate Tuesdays.  Please note that some outlying parts of the parish and parts of Easton Piercy have waste collected on different days - to check when yours is, or for further information, head to https://ilforms.wiltshire.gov.uk/WasteCollectionDays/index

For the latest news about any roadworks, utility work and non-street works that may be taking place in this area, please visit one.network.

Primary school: Kington St Michael CE Primary School, tel. (01249) 750454, Secondary Schools (Chippenham):
Abbeyfield School, tel. (01249) 464500
Hardenhuish School, tel. (01249) 650693
Sheldon School, tel. (01249) 766020

Science Museum Library and Archives
Please visit the Science Museum's website to view information about this facility at Wroughton, near Swindon.
The Science Museum Library and Archives is one of the most pre-eminent collections in the world of printed items relating to the physical sciences, engineering, industry and transport. There are outstanding collections in these subject areas, but it also has significant collections on the scientific exploration of the natural world, including natural history and the science of life; on cartography, oceanography and the earth sciences, astronomy and cosmology; and on the application of science and technology to human life, including public health and medical technology, agriculture and domestic technology.

Stray Dogs
If you have found a dog, please contact (01249) 706111 during office hours*. Out of office hours and up to 11pm please ring 0845 0568035 and your call will be dealt with by the Out of Hours Service. If you have lost a dog, please contact (01249) 706111 during office hours* who can advise if your dog has been found.
*(Note: office hours are Monday to Thursday 08:45 am – 5:15 pm & Friday 08:45 – 4:45 pm)
Local Authorities are now responsible for dealing with stray dogs at all times under the Clean Neighbourhoods and Environment Act 2005. The police will no longer have a duty for stray dogs.

Trading Standards
The Trading Standards Institute can be contacted via: www.gov.uk/find-local-trading-standards-office, or visit Wiltshire Trading Standard's Service.

Victim Support

If you’ve been a victim of any crime or have been affected by a crime committed against someone you know, we can give emotional and practical support to help you find the strength to deal with what you’ve been through.

Our services are free and available to everyone, whether or not the crime has been reported and regardless of when it happened.
For more information contact us on 0808 281 0113 or email wiltshire@victimsupport.org.uk.

Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre
Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre
Cocklebury Road
SN15 3QN

Telephone : 01249 705500
By Fax : 01249 705527
By E-mail: heritageadmin@wiltshire.gov.uk
WSHC website

Wiltshire Bobby Van
The Wiltshire Bobby Van Trust (WBVT) provides a free home security service and online safety service for over 60s, 18+ with a registered disability, and people experiencing domestic abuse, throughout Wiltshire and Swindon.

The charity funds the operation of three Bobby vans that provide mobile workshops for Bobby operators to secure homes.  Our team of Stay Safe Online Volunteers offer one to one home visits and community talks on online safety.

Wiltshire Council
Wiltshire Council, County Hall, Trowbridge. Tel. 0300 456 0100 (all departments)
Social care help desk - tel. 0300 456 0111
Automated payments - tel. 0300 456 0199

The local Wiltshire Council office is at Monkton Park, Chippenham, Wiltshire, SN15 1ER.

Wiltshire Cycleway
The complete Wiltshire Cycleway Guide, produced by Wiltshire County Council Travelwise and Wiltshire Tourism, is available for only £2 by calling 0870 2405599.

Wiltshire Police
KNOW THE NUMBER: 101.  In an EMERGENCY dial 999. For more information visit www.wiltshire.police.uk. (Wiltshire Police Minicom, tel. 01380 734064).

Chippenham Rural North NPT (neighbourhood Police Team)
Contact Details: Please use the team email address below to report issues of local concern in your neighbourhood - this email address should not be used to report crime - please call 101 to report minor crimes.

Email: chippruralnorthnpt@wiltshire.pnn.police.uk Tel: 101

Gay Policing Initiative: To speak to a Gay Liaison Officer call 101.



Age UK Wiltshire

BBC Wiltshire

Biddestone village website

Wiltshire Biodiversity Partnership

Brinkworth village website

Burton village website

Cabot Circus

Campaign to Protect Rural England -Wiltshire

Castle Combe village website

Charity Technology Exchange - through this programme, eligible UK-based charities are able to choose from over 170 donated or discounted technology products from partners such as Microsoft, Symantec and Cisco for a small administration fee. The products include operating system software and server software, security software and hardware products such as switches, routers, wireless equipment and firewalls.

Chippenham And Villages Environmentalists

Childline 0800 1111

Chippenham Town Council

Chippenham Harriers Running Club

Chippenham Our Community Matters website

Christian Malford village website

Community First

Community Group public interest website

Community Repaint (Donate unwanted paint or obtain donated paint for a charity or community project)

Councilling directory for Chippenham & the surrounding area

Cruse bereavement care

Doorway charity for the homeless in North of Wiltshire

Environment Agency

Equality and Human Rights Commission

Financial Conduct Authority

Freegle A recycling organisation with local groups (including one in Chippenham, where people give and receive items for free

Frieght Information for Wiltshire Information for transport companies on road restrictions, routes, etc in Wiltshire.

Great Somerford Parish Council website

Homes 4 Wiltshire is the way in which you can search for housing in the Wiltshire Council area.  Homes 4 Wiltshire will allow you more involvement in your housing future and this website is your gateway to a new home.  You can search for vacant properties across the Wiltshire Council area on this website.)

Hullavington Parish Council website

Investors in People

Institute of Directors

Kington Langley village website

Learning in Wiltshire

National Association of Local Councils

Natural England

NHS for information on health matters


Oaksey village website

Parenting and family support

Pound Arts Centre, Corsham

Recycle Now Information on recycling, compost bins & more

Sherston Parish Council website

Sherston community website

St John Ambulance

Stanton St Quintin website

Streetbank - sharing in your neighbourhood. Streetbank puts you in touch with your community, bringing neighbourboods closer and making the world a bit nicer. See members living within one mile, make requests on the community noticeboard, lend items, give away unwanted stuff and ask for help.

Sutton Benger Parish Council website

Trading Standards institute (For the Wiltshire Trading Standards Service click here)

Visit Bath

Visit Wiltshire

Walking In Wiltshire

Waste Not Want Not is a registered charity based in Chippenham. It collects, free of charge, unwanted items of serviceable furniture, household goods and electrical items, to pass on at affordable prices to families and individuals whose household income is below £35,000 per annum, and to all senior citizens.

Wessex Chambers of Commerce

Wiltshire Community Transport

Wiltshire Council

Wiltshire Exchange Scheme - a scheme to exchange goods and services.

Wiltshire Fire & Rescue Service  - Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service

Wiltshire Geology Group

Wiltshire Intelligence - This website provides a location for a wide range of data sets, indicators and assessments that have relevance to Wiltshire's residents. It aims to improve access to information in Wiltshire by providing a 'one-stop shop' for key local datasets and reports, presented in a consistent format that is easy to navigate and understand.

Wiltshire Neighbourhood Watch

Wiltshire Police

Wiltshire Racial Equality Council

Wiltshire & Swindon Biological Records Centre

Wiltshire & Swindon Community Messaging You can now sign up for free messages - by email, text or voicemail - about policing and crime matters relating to your area and interests by joining Wiltshire and Swindon Community Messaging.

Wiltshire and Swindon Countryside Access Forum

Wiltshire & Swindon History Centre for local historical information

Wiltshire & Swindon Intelligence Network

Wilts V-Dub Club
 VW owners club - meets in Chippenham.

Wiltshire Wildlife Trust

Wiltshire Wood Recycling based in Castle Combe - recycles wood!

Women in Rural Enterprise

Women's Institute

Yatton Keynell village website

Youth Action Wiltshire