St Michael & All Angels Church
St. Michael & All Angels Church,
Kington St Michael
The parish of Kington St. Michael falls within the Bybrook Group of Churches, which also includes Yatton Keynell, Biddestone, Grittleton, Littleton Drew, Burton & Nettleton, West Kington, Slaughterford, Castle Combe and North Wraxall.
For all enquiries please contact the Group Administrator, tel (01249) 782704, email firstname.lastname@example.org. The website is bybrook.org.uk
Priest in Charge: Reverend Marc Terry
Churchwarden: Colin Labouchere tel. (01249) 750222
Key holders: The churchwarden (as above)
Barbara Barnes tel. (01249) 750488
Pam Tayler tel. (01249) 750523
The church is normally open and visitors are welcome. However, should it be locked the key may also be borrowed from and returned to the village shop (opposite the church) during shop opening hours.
PCC Secretary: Alison Greenhalgh
PCC Hon. Treasurer: Gerry Elms
Gift Aid: Jenny Hayne
There is usually a 9.30am service in the church on a Sunday. However, on the fourth Sunday of each month the morning service is held at 10am in a different church within the Benefice. Similarly on the fifth Sunday of a month the service will rotate between Kington St Michael, Biddestone and Yatton Keynell. Please check the church noticeboard for up to date information or ring one of the contacts listed above.
A service is held every Thursday at 10am.
Visitors are always most welcome at our services.
The Friends of St. Michael & All Angels (FOSMAA) welcomes new members who are interested in the future of the church building. Contact Mrs Christine Jago on (01249) 758377 for more information.
Angel Monument Lych Gate
A brief outline of the history of the church which is a Grade II* listed building
The original church here was of Norman origin. It was substantially restored in 13th century and parts of that restored church still remain. The porch, some of the south aisle and the chancel all date from that time. In 1703 during a severe storm the tower and spire collapsed into the north aisle. The tower, which now contains a peal of six bells (all dated 1726 by Abraham Rudhall, a Gloucester bell-founder), was rebuilt in 1725 and the north aisle in 1755.
The Victorians achieved another major restoration in 1857 and a great deal of this can be seen today, including the reredos behind the altar, the pulpit and the pews. Then just as the Christmas Day service started in 1990 a freak storm blew the southeast spire of the tower over and it fell into the roof timbers of the nave, miraculously causing no serious injuries. Thus further restoration work took place during 1991 and 1992 and the Bishop of Bristol rededicated the church on December 12th 1992. (Click here for more information and photos and click here to see a copy of the restoration appeal folder from 1991).
The plaque below the fine east window in the south aisle which is dedicated the Archangel St. Michael tells how it was erected in memory of two more illustrious sons of the parish, John Aubrey (1625-97) and John Britton (1771-1857), both of whom were Fellows of the Royal Society and renowned Antiquarians.
The diarist Francis Kilvert mentions the parish several times in his writings, and in the north aisle can be found a memorial plaque to his grandparents, Walter and Thermutis Coleman.
In 1985 the late journalist, Miles Kington, visited the village and in particular the church. Click here to read Miles' ponderings, published in The Times on 17th January 1985.
An interesting fact is that our church is only one of less than a handful in the country which has bells that are rung in an anticlockwise peal.
View the Wiltshire On-line Parish Clerk's supplementary pages for Kingotn St Michael here.
Another interesting website to explore is compiled by Duncan & Mandy Ball and contains 229 photographs of Kington St Michael church & churchyard. Do have a good look around it, as there are lists of those buried plus photos of gravestones.
(To read the story of St Michael, please click on the icon: ) (Please scroll down for church news and planned events)
Stained glass window showing
St Michael in the centre panel
(Photo courtesy of Niki Willows)
Stained glass windows (photos courtesy of Stewart Shape)
& All Angels Church is to receive a £10,000 Cornerstone Grant from
the National Churches Trust. The grant will help to pay for the
installation of refreshment and toilet facilities in the Grade II listed
church, allowing it to act as more of a hub within the community.
Churchwardens, Janet Elms and Colin Labouchere, said that the grant was a
fantastic boost and the fund is now at over 90% towards its target.
is trying to raise the last tranche of money that it needs to
get the new facilities installed in the church. With this in mind it has set up a crowd funding appeal on Just Giving. Please take a look and make a donation if you so wish2019
Bonfire in the ChurchyardColin Labouchere has pollarded seven of the 23 lime trees in the Churchyard. It is planned to pollard every alternate tree this year and the others next year. On New Year’s Day about 35 members of the village joined forces to feed a massive bonfire and they cleared the entire area. Their work was lubricated with mulled wine and pies. A wonderful job and a great thank you to all the gang.”
April: Would you like to keep fit for free and help the church at the same time? The church needs a volunteer who can spare some time once a fortnight during the summer to join the churchyard mowing team. If you can help please contact Colin Labouchere on (01249) 750222.
The tombola and the children's run (photos courtesy of Janet Elms)
Woodlice race area (photo courtesy of Stewart Shape)